Sunday, September 21, 2008

Convertible Mittens

The weather changed in a snap from summer to fall this past week and I've been rediscovering my favorite hoodie sweatshirts. I bundle up in jeans, sweaters, and warm socks but my hands are always cold. My dream has been to find a pair of fingerless gloves - so I don't have to take them off - that convert into mittens. (Otherwise known as convertible mittens)
THE FIND: Yesterday, during the same shopping trip to Target I got my new Preserve toothbrush, I also found my first pair of convertible mittens. They were just right in with the hats and scarves, labeled as "Merona Chunky Convertible Mitten" They had black, gray, cream, and brown. I can't find a picture of them online, but mine are a lovely cream color with a brown button to hold back the mitten flap when not in use. They were an affordable $10.95.
NEXT STEP: Flipping back the mitten is so convenient, I can do almost anything with them on, except turn pages. There are some things where thumbs are just needed. Ideally, I want to find some convertible mittens with a texting flap on the thumb - like these ones -for sale locally or fair trade made. I know my mittens aren't "sustainably made" but my fingers need the warmth. I'm a mildly competent knitter, and I dream of being able to make a pair for myself.
QUESTIONS: Do any of you own convertible mittens or have another convenient hand warming solution?

No comments: