Monday, January 01, 2007

Knitting

The knitting craze from a few years ago has finally crashed over me! Family taught me how to knit several years ago but I knit only in these situations; I was feeling guilty I hadn't been knitting, I was out of books, and/or the person who taught me to knit was coming over. Knitting, however, has taken over the city. A lady from my church made an announcement about her knitting scarves for a charity that distributes things to people in need. After she started drowning in yarn that people had donated she asked others to help knit scarves. Several members of my family decided to take a few balls of yarn and help knit. We have made two scarves, one is beautiful wool with black flecks and another is a childs rainbow and green striped scarf, and I am working on a pink and rainbow striped scarf for another child. Knitting has also appeared in books. Two books, in a series called Chicks with Sticks, I have read are about young people knitting. The names of the books are It's a Purl Thing and Knit Two Together. There is also a television show from DIY network called Knitty Gritty, that explains projects. Knitting is quite simple, you can find someone in your community to teach you or you can use a knitting help website. The scarves I have made are just knit stich -garter stitch-; no fancy technics or patterns. Try it!

No comments: